The Family

The Family

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fostering

I have been meaning to post this for awhile since I saw it on someone else's blog, but never got around to it.  Well I saw it again today on another blog and just thought I had to post it on here.

Fostering might not be for everyone, but if you have ever thought about it even for a moment, I really encourage you to look into it further.  You could be exactly what some child needs at a time in their lives when they are full of confusion and sorrow.  You could be the light they need to see to know there is hope...  that someone out there loves them and will comfort and protect them.  And not only the child, but you will be blessed as well.  Extremely blessed.


21 Foster Parenting Truths As Seen By a Veteran Foster Parent


from Keith Thompson:

My wife and I have been doing foster care for 17 years. Along the way, we've learned a few things that seem to be givens when working for our children.


1. Love may not be enough, but when you add unlimited patience and a sense of humor, you can usually get through.

2. Things go best when you go by the book - but you have to be using the right book!

3. Having a spirit of contention accomplishes nothing - especially when you are trying to work with the "system".

4. You can't help every child, but you can still cry for them.

5. You can't help every child, but you can still pray for them.

6. Some people know how to fix a broken child, and some people know how to fix a broken system - very few people have the time and talent fix both!

7. You can feel close to God when changing a diaper.

8. Foster Care is the worst paying job in the world.

9. Foster Care is the best paying job in the world.

10. Enjoy the good days when they come - on the bad days, find someone to serve.

11. Kids who've had it rough in life need good, strong parenting.

12. Kids who've had it rough in life need someone to serve them.

13. Knowing when to be a parent, and when to be a servant brings the greatest joy and success.

This is the one I'm most partial to:

14. Abused kids are used to being yelled at - try using funny voices instead!

15. Never let a child go to bed without a "tuck-in".

16. A 10 year old who's never been allowed to be a 10 year old, will not become a 10 year old upon arrival in your home - pick your battles and conquer one behavior at a time.

17. ALWAYS expect that the children will not resemble their "resumes".

18. Children are more important than furniture.

19. Work as if everything depends on you - Pray as if everything depends on the Lord!

20. The greatest lesson the Lord has ever taught me about fostering children came during a church meeting one Sunday. Our newly arrived, nine year old foster son came in during the meeting and asked me to tie his shoes. My first thought was to scold him for not being able to tie the shoes himself. My next thought was to kneel down and tie them for him. My final thought was - I am kneeling at the feet of the Savior!

21. And since I have still not learned everything, my most recent lesson comes from someone I only recently met. When we ask ourselves why a child had to be born to such an abusive parent, remember that the birth of a child is the keeping of a promise made in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Well-said! I've just come across your blog today and I'm so blessed and can't wait to read more. :) I'm an adoptive mom of 12 (10 from foster care, 2 "informally adopted" older daughters). LOVE when other Christian adoptive families share their hearts and their stories. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete